Refund Policy

Thank you for choosing WeGyde Learning App for your ACCA journey. We value your satisfaction and want to ensure a clear and fair refund process. Please read our refund policy carefully.

Terms and Conditions

  1. ⁠98% Refund within 7 Days: If you decide to cancel your course within 7 days after the payment date your course You are eligible for a 98% refund. The remaining 2% is nominal charges deducted. A valid explanation is required to claim the refund.
  2. 50% Refund within 8-15 Days: If you decide to cancel your course between 8 and 15 days after the payment date, you are entitled to a 50% refund of the total amount paid.
  3. No Refund After 15 Days: After 15 days from the payment date, no refunds will be processed. We appreciate your understanding in this regard.
  4. Deduction of Necessary Charges: In cases where a refund is applicable, it will be issued after deducting any necessary charges, such as transaction fees, handling fees, or other expenses incurred during the refund process.

How to Request a Refund

  1. Contact our Customer Support Team at or call +918714877781 and provide your order details and payment date.
  2. Clearly state the reason for your refund request. This information helps us improve our services..
  3. Our team will review your request and, if it meets our refund policy criteria, we will process the refund within 7 business days.


There may be exceptional circumstances where we consider refunds outside the specified policy. These situations will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, and our decision will be final.

Contact Us

If you have any questions or concerns regarding our refund policy, please don't hesitate to contact us at Contact Email/Phone. Please note that this refund policy is subject to change without prior notice. Be sure to review the policy each time you make a purchase to stay informed of any updates.

Thank you for choosing WeGyde Learning App. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you in the future


WeGyde Learning App